Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Face+Symmetry=Beauty?

I remember taking a class in college where I was studying "Communication" and learning that there was a direct correlation with symmetrical faces and attractiveness.  I was taught that it was a fact that we, as humans, subconsciously judge a person's beauty, at first glance by how symmetrical their face is.  At the time, I just assumed this was true as there is scientific research to back up this claim.  I remember looking in the mirror and thinking "I'm screwed, one eyebrow is definitely different than the other and one eyeball is definitely a bit lower and smaller than the other.  I must be Quasimodo."
Maybe this was true at one time or still is.  However, I have to say for me personally, I do not believe this anymore.  Maybe because we live in an age where Photoshop makes everything sickly perfect I became awakened to the fact that it is our little flaws that make us beautiful and refreshing.  Our flaws make us different from everyone else.  Our flaws remind us that we are indeed, still human and are susceptible to scars, moles, genetics and overall wear and tear.  I found this article that shows how celebrities would look if their faces were perfectly symmetrical.  I would take a non-symmetrical Colin Farrel any day compared to this perception of perfection...
http://www.freakingnews.com/Symmetric-Celebrities-Pictures--2485-10.asp


No comments:

Post a Comment